Original Site of Alabama A&M, Plaque

A Two-Sided Sign located in Huntsville at the original site of Alabama A&M University.
Full Title:

Original site of Alabama Agricultural and Mechanical University/Alabama Agricultural and Mechanical University

Excerpt:

Original site of Alabama Agricultural and Mechanical University
(Now located at Normal, Alabama)

Legislature approved 9 December 1873 “a normal school for the education of colored
teachers” in Huntsville. Ex-slave William Hooper Council founder and first president. Classes
began May 1875 in a rented building; moved 1881 to first school-owned property on West
Clinton Street. Land-grant funds received 1891 for training of Negroes in agriculture and
mechanic arts enables school to enlarge and re-establish at present campus north of the
city.

Alabama Agricultural and Mechanical University
Former names

1873 – Colored Normal School at Huntsville
1885 – The Huntsville State Colored Normal and Industrial School
1896 – The State Agricultural and Mechanical College for Negroes
1919 – The State Agricultural and Mechanical Institute for Negroes
1948 – Alabama Agricultural and Mechanical College
1969 – University status achieved

Source Citation:

Alabama Historical Association. 1974. Original Site of Alabama A&M. Plaque. Alabama.

Cite this page:

Alabama Historical Association. 1974. "Original Site of Alabama A&M, Plaque." History of Higher Education. https://higheredhistory.gmu.edu/primary-sources/original-site-of-alabama-am-plaque/